RE: Cross-document links in Word

Subject: RE: Cross-document links in Word
From: "HALL Bill" <bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:22:21 +1100 (EDT)

K K asked,

| Does anyone know a way to create a cross-reference
| between two Word files without using master/sub documents?

1. In the document you wish to link to create a bookmark
(Insert/Bookmark) at the point you wish to link to.

2. At the point in the document you wish to link from select click
Insert/Hyperlink, browse for [File] or enter filename you wish to
reference, then click [Bookmark] and select the bookmark you entered or
enter #bookmarkname following the filename.

I have used this approach extensively in writing academic papers where I
keep all document reference details in a Bibliography file and document
text in a separate file. I have found the system to be quite robust even
in very large documents.

Bill Hall

Documentation Systems Analyst
Head Office, Engineering
Tenix Defense
Williamstown, Vic. 3016
Phone: 03 9244 4820
Email:bill -dot- hall -at- tenix -dot- com

Honorary Research Fellow
Knowledge Management Lab
School of Information Management & Systems
Monash University
Caulfield East, Vic. 3145
Phone: 03 9903 1883
Email: william -dot- hall -at- infotech -dot- monash -dot- edu -dot- au