Re: Converting MSWord2000 document to PDF

Subject: Re: Converting MSWord2000 document to PDF
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:04:41 -0800

rajper256 -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

To convert my MSWord2000 documents to PDF I print the document using
Acrobat Distiller as my printer. However, I lose all links - TOC (to
headings in the body), cross-references, hypertext links, links to
bookmarks, etc.

I'd appreciate any help/suggestion on how I may convert my MSWord2000
documents to PDF and preserve the links.

Do I need a plug-in? If yes, what would it be, and where can I get it?

If Word was installed on your computer when you installed Acrobat, the Acrobat installer would detect it and try to install something called PDFMaker. PDFMaker is a macro that Adobe recommends for generating PDF from Word documents.

If all went well, when you started Word, you would see a new Acrobat menu and a new Acrobat toolbar with two tools. On the menu, you would use the Change Conversion Settings command to set attributes of the PDF output, then use the Convert to Adobe PDF command (or the tool with the same name) to generate the PDF file.

When you choose the Change Conversion Settings command, you'll want to pay special attention to two of the tabs: the Office tab, where you may want to select Convert Cross-Document Links, Convert Internet Links, Cross-References & TOC Links, and Footnote & Endnote Links (among others); and the Bookmarks tab, where you want to select Convert Word Headings to Bookmarks (so the TOC links will have targets).

By the way, I use Acrobat 5. Somebody will correct me if things have changed with the release of Acrobat 6.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.