Re: Interesting site for software tech writers

Subject: Re: Interesting site for software tech writers
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:55:15 -0800

technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net wrote:

Our project manager just handed me a series on writing functional specs for software. So far, I like what I'm reading. The site is maintained by Joel Spolsky, author of _User Interface Design for Programmers_.

An archive of his articles is at http://www.joelonsoftware.com/navLinks/fog0000000247.html.

Some of Joel's advice about spec-writing will make the TW's job easier.

Some will make it harder. He advises the engineer-spec-writer to write informally and use humor.

Humor may hold the attention of the reader, but is usually frowned upon in the documents TWs produce. Humor, if it does make it into a published manual, does not internationalize well.

What does YOUR organization say about humor?

Would it be easier or harder for you, as a writer, to translate from specs to manuals if the specs were written as Joel suggests?

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net