Re: Webhelp - how to view standalone?

Subject: Re: Webhelp - how to view standalone?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:54:36 -0800

"John Cornellier" <cornellier1 -at- stavanger -dot- oilfield -dot- slb -dot- com> wrote in message
news:224777 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I've been sent a help system which is a collection of HTML files plus a
some .js files, ehelp.xml, webhelp.jar ... so I guess it's a webhelp system.

> I'm trying to view it in Linux or Windows without having any ehelp
software installed.

> I can open the individual HTML files but I can't get the navigation
wrapper going.

> Can any webhelp developer help me out here?

In a WebHelp system, the "home" page is usually the file that's has the same
name as the project. So if your project name is "for_bar," you should fiind
in the WebHelpoutput folder files named "foo_bar.htm," "foo_bar_csh.htm,"
and "foo_bar_rhc.htm." You want the file "foo_bar.htm."

Open it in one of two ways:

- As a standard page in your browser, using a planin link (anchor) tag.
- In a separate, sized window using JavaScript.

In either case, write a simple HTML page to do either or both of these.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf