Re: Are you using RoboHelp X4.1 for single source layouts?

Subject: Re: Are you using RoboHelp X4.1 for single source layouts?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:26:03 -0800

I just did it, and I couldn't figure out how to map everything either.

In my case, the default output was WebHelp. I designed a CSS file that did
all the basics right--and I made sure I did all my editing outside of
RoboHelp's editor. Standard online styles map OK to standard print styles.
However, I had to do some post processing, in part because a couple of
custom styles dind't map and in part because heading levels got messed up I
wrote a couple of macros to do that post processing, so whenever I had to
create a new print version, a quick keystroke and a few extra seconds got me
a better (if not perfectly formatted) book. Actually, it looks pretty
doggone good.

But then, if the client will let you do a FrameMaker/WebWorks combination,
most people here (including me) wouold say you'll have more hair left when
you're done.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. The day
may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our friends and
break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day! This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

"Rene Gedaly" <rene -dot- gedaly -at- clearwriting -dot- biz> wrote in message
news:224691 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

A client wants me to build Help and printed doc using RoboHelp Office X4.1.
Outputs are HTML Help and a Word document.

I'm close, but I'm having trouble mapping CSS styles to DOT styles
faithfully enough to get a professional-looking Word doc from the RH topics.

Has anyone else worked this problem using RoboHelp, maybe with RH X3? Would
you share the "gotchas" that I may be overlooking?

Thanks,
Rene