RE: Quark & Frame vs. Word

Subject: RE: Quark & Frame vs. Word
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:47:05 -0500

No and yes. The draft that I send to SMEs is identified by version number in
the file name, and Change Tracking is turned off. The SMEs edit the draft
using Word and then return the revised versions to me. I save each SME's
version as a unique file by adding the SME's initials to the file name.

In my experience, Change Tracking not only reduces my control of the
document, but also leads to file bloat. I would rather have many small Word
documents, with file names indicating their authors and place in sequence,
than have a single, swelling, uncontrollable mass of revisions.

I do use Change Tracking occasionally, but only to indicate to an SME the
most recent changes in a document. In that case, the document that I send
has the "Highlight changes on screen" and "Highlight changes in printed
document" check boxes selected, but the "Track changes while editing" check
box is always cleared.

Dan Goldstein

<snip>
> My second question: do most of you use Word revision control on
> documents when editing? I heavily rewrite my clients work
> (most of them
> anyway) and asked a girlfriend last night if she would want
> to proof my
> changes and any highlighted areas with Word revision command and she
> said, "I don't know how to use that, but I could get a hard copy
> document from you today and return it on Tuesday." Obviously THAT
> doesn't help me. I certainly can't bill my client for hashing through
> hard copy proofreaders marks. Perhaps this is why she hasn't had a
> client in 2 years. I don't know. Maybe I am the anomaly. Like
> that would
> be a first!
</snip>