Re: Groove

Subject: Re: Groove
From: Amy Smith/Westford/IBM <amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:12:52 -0500

Greetings from the antarctic Northeast, where if we hit zero today, we'll
be very lucky! :-)

I haven't used Groove, but I thought you might be interested in its
history. It was founded by Ray Ozzie, the original mastermind behind
Notes. Ray's first company was Iris Development Corp., which was purchased
by Lotus (when Mitch Kapor was running it, I believe).

Ray has always been interested in the use of technology to promote
collaboration. Prior to developing Notes, Ray participated in a pioneering
project for online communities called, interestingly enough, PLATO. The
PLATO project included online forums and message boards, email, chat
rooms, instant messaging, remote screen sharing, and multiplayer games.
You can get more info about that project here
http://www.thinkofit.com/plato/dwplato.htm

You can also read Ray's blog at www.ozzie.net/blog/. Some interesting
stories about his time at Lotus and the challenges facing him in
developing a new product and company.

Amy

Amy Smith
GPD Information Development
IBM Software Group/Lotus Software
Phone 978.399.5009 | Tie line: 399.5009 | Email: amy_smith -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com