RE: How to continue caption numbering when document is split into multiple files

Subject: RE: How to continue caption numbering when document is split into multiple files
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:06:36 -0500

Hi Diana,

1. If I'm not mistaken, only the HYPERLINK, INCLUDEPICTURE, INCLUDETEXT,
LINK, and RD fields can refer to other documents. I don't believe that any
of these can be used for cross-document autonumbering. Why can't the single
chapter be a single document? If your problem is file size, perhaps the
figures can be linked rather than embedded. It's better to have a bunch of
graphic files and a single Word file than to have five Word files.

2. You didn't specify how you are currently numbering the figures. If you
are using Word's native autonumbering function, even for a single document,
you might consider using SEQ or LISTNUM fields instead. TECHWR-L has many
resources to help you with these.

and frustrations of master documents. There are many Word experts who won't
touch them, and with good reason.

Dan Goldstein