RE: What I want to say....

Subject: RE: What I want to say....
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:30:11 -0500

Chuck...yes, it is extensive, but no, I don't see it as overly detailed.
At least you know exactly what they are looking for. Would you rather
that the problem was too LIITLE detail?

The advantage to a description such as this is it gives you specific
against which you can sell yourself. The more details they present, the
more opportunity you have to discuss yourself in equal detail.

My only gripe is "LaTex", but at least they spelled it right.

>First, you're asking for a "high level of technical
>writing ability," yet you want someone with a degree
>in a discipline other than Technical Communication.
>Does this make sense to you? Do you look for web
>programmers with an MBA? A CFO with a degree in Political
>Science?

Oh, yeah....they'll be scrambling to get on the phone to contact you
with THIS in your cover letter

Besides...they're not WRONG, they're just writing it differently from
how you would. I see nothing wrong with it in general...and if I was
free and around, I would.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com

I'm reacting at a bit of a visceral level at this, so please forgive me
if I sound harsh. I think I'm reasonably well qualified for
this--especially as I've spend most of the last few years documenting
web applications, yet the past year and a half has shown me that even
being a near-perfect match rarely even gets me a phone interview, never
mind the job. So I thought I'd vent a bit here, then decide whether to
try an apply to this one.