Re: What I want to say....

Subject: Re: What I want to say....
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:21:24 -0500

Chuck Martin wrote:

> First, you're asking for a "high level of technical writing
ability,"
> yet you want someone with a degree in a discipline other than
> Technical Communication. Does this make sense to you? Do you look
for
> web programmers with an MBA? A CFO with a degree in Political
Science?

Many technical writers do not have degrees in technical communication.
The employer sought minimum requirements of a degree in English,
journalism, or computer science, which seems apprropriate. The
specialized degree in technical communication, while it would be good
to have, isn't realistically something that an employer is going to
insist on, especially for such a short project. In fact, a person who
had no degree but was highly talented and experienced in technical
writing could probably get this job.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com