Re: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....

Subject: Re: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....
From: nhancock -at- mindspring -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:21:43 -0700

Hi there,
Thanks to all that replied to my post. I visited the suggested sites and
I plan to get my "hands dirty" shortly. However, I was a little disturbed
with one posting. If I implied that I've been amassing a great deal of
education with no work experience at all, I apologize. I've worked as a
Pharmacy Technician for the past 15 years, a hairstylist for 8 years
simultaneously, while completing degrees in English and Art. It is true
that I have no tech writing experience, but that was one of the reasons
for the post. The university I attended does not have a Tech Comm program,
so I have not been formally exposed to the field. That is why I'm
interested in the M.A program at TTU. I do plan to work on as many types
of Tech writing projects as I can find to gain experience.
I am fully aware that education with no experience means very little in
the Tech Communications arena (or any other for that matter), so here I am
asking the professionals for advice. Who better to ask than the
professionals themselves?
If anyone else has any other suggestions for newbie tech writer
adventures, please let me know. ( I've been to GNU.com and open
office.org)

Thanks a million...(for previous and future jewels of wisdom:)
NH