Re: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....

Subject: Re: Texas Tech U/ tech writer experience....
From: Rachael Lininger <techwhirl -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:47:14 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

nhancock -at- mindspring -dot- com wrote:

>The university I attended does not have a Tech Comm program,
>so I have not been formally exposed to the field.

I'm not sure how many universities do have a tech communications
program. Nor do I know what it could provide that an English degree
couldn't. A specific very good program may be personally useful, but
I rather doubt your potential employers would know or care.

If anything, I've been turned down for jobs I needed because I was
overqualified. If you have too many credentials, hiring managers
seem to become afraid that you will jump ship at the nearest
opportunity. This can be disheartening when you are wondering
how you are going to pay the taxes on your unemployment.
(Someone I interviewed with for a job is now a peer at my
current position, and that's what he said happened to that job.
I've been told that other times. It's not entirely my overweening
personal conceit.)

If you really want more education, technical training in whatever
field you're wanting to write about may be a better bet. A few
fluffy certifications probably won't hurt, either, and can help get
you past the first resume triage.

Rachael