Alternative variable in Header/Footer

Subject: Alternative variable in Header/Footer
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:08:45 -0500

Hi, guys...Word 2003

Is there a way, similar to FM, where I can place an alternative variable
in a header or footer, so that if the primary variable isn't found on
the page, the secondary is?

Example: I have a primary heading style, Heading2 and a secondary
heading style, Heading2TopOfPage. I want the primary instance of
Heading2 to be populated into the footer, but in absence of Heading2,
use Heading2TopOfPage. What's happening now is that Heading2 shows on
the page even when the secondary style is used, giving a misleading
footer insert.

Note: This is NOT a tool bash just because I compared Word with FM...I
just want a feature to work a certain way and I know of another
application for the example.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation