Word 2003 Insert Cross-reference Bug?

Subject: Word 2003 Insert Cross-reference Bug?
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:47:52 -0500

OK, maybe this is me, but I doubt it, because I can reproduce it at
will.

I seem to have a bug where when inserting cross-referenced text from a
bookmark, if I click on the vertical scroll bar instead of in the list
first, the elevator bar goes away and I can only select from the few
lines that appears at the top of the list, but if I close the dialog and
reopen, everything is back. Follow along with me.

1) Create two Bookmarks. Locate a sentence somewhere in a Word 2003
document, highlight it, and define it with a Bookmark. We'll call it
SELECT_DESCRIPTION. Locate another string somewhere else, highlight, and
define it with another Bookmark. We'll call it SORT_DESCRIPTION

2) Go somewhere else in the document and insert the bookmarked text by:

Insert -> Reference -> Cross Reference -> [Reference Type = Bookmark,
Insert Reference to = Bookmarked text], then select SELECT_DESCRIPTION
and click insert. Fine. Do not close the Cross Reference dialog box.

3) Now, while the Cross reference dialog IS STILL OPEN, create another
insert spot by clicking in the page text, then CLICK ON THE VERTICAL
SCROLL BAR of the cross reference dialog box INSTEAD of first in the
window listing the bookmarks.

Does the Vertical Scroll Bar go away on you? It does on me. Does this
happen to anyone else? Is this a pain in the **? Is there a fix?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com