Re: getting started with OOo

Subject: Re: getting started with OOo
From: Chuck Murray <Charles -dot- Murray -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:53:01 -0500

> I want to start using OOo. I've got the install file, the install
> guide, and some templates that looked interesting/useful. Is there
> anything else I should get or that any of you have found useful?
> I've never used OOo before, but I'm pretty good with MS Office.

In addition to the excellent suggestions already given, let me mention my OpenOffice Writer 1.1 tutorial, a set of files packaged in a single ZIP file. The tutorial could be done as a self-administered thing, or it could be delivered as an instructor-led workshop. The README.txt file contains instructions, as well as terms of the "copyleft" licensing, which means you're free to use and even modify (within certain guidelines) the tutorial as you wish. My Writer tutorial is roughly patterned after a Microsoft Word workshop that I developed and have delivered at two colleges. The Writer tutorial assumes some word processor experience, and it's designed to make it easy for "average users" to move easily from Word to Writer, or to use both applications comfortably.

To get my Writer tutorial, go to http://blackboard.neu.edu and log in as username = schmoe and password = joe; click Chuck Murray's Tech Writing Courses; click Course Documents; open the folder for the OpenOffice / StarOffice Writer Tutorial, and download the oo_writer_files.zip file.

Chuck Murray Oracle Corporation
Phone: (603) 897-3155 One Oracle Drive
mailto:Charles -dot- Murray -at- oracle -dot- com Nashua, NH 03062