Re: Multiple undo (was Re: Microsoft Documentation)

Subject: Re: Multiple undo (was Re: Microsoft Documentation)
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "k k" <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:12:28 -0800

If that's the case, it's an indication of a lack of competence in
both programs' designers. There are many, many applications
that manage to accomplish this with much larger memory loads
than either Frame or Word. One that I work with is AutoCAD,
which not only allows you to undo right back to the startup state
(with an "undo/back" command", but allows you to insert place
holders at any point while you're working so that you can undo
back to any saved point in your session. This with models in the
30+Mb size range using external references up the wazoo. This
is one reason why I'm currently investigatiing native XML editors
for my new writing team; it's become painfully clear to me in recent
years that working in either Frame *or* Word is more or less like
driving around in a 1985 car that someone has repainted and
reupholstered multiple times without ever opening the hood.
There's no way I'm going to use either as the foundation of the
single-source/content-managed documentation system I've been
tasked to create.

Gene Kim-Eng