Re: Multiple undo (was Re: Microsoft Documentation)

Subject: Re: Multiple undo (was Re: Microsoft Documentation)
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:40:51 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

That's harsh, Gene. The designers were on the bleeding edge of the technology of their respective days. They were hardly incompetent.

Bleeding edge? I worked for a company that made a word processor with *infinite* undo. It simply logged all your actions, and applied them to the file when you saved. Which was particularly handy if you didn't save (power failure, crash, whatever) because you could still apply the log to your file after the fact. This was in 1980!

This isn't rocket science. It's just intelligent design, based on anticipating your users' needs.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the FrameMaker or Word programmers "incompetent". But neither product gets high marks for usability or reliability. "Bleeding edge" indeed!