Re: Microsoft Documentation

Subject: Re: Microsoft Documentation
From: "John Posada" <writer -at- tdandw -dot- com>
To: "Schneberger, Joanne" <Joanne -dot- Schneberger -at- bestsoftware -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:13:00 -0500

> Search for Word VS Framemaker. Even MSN's search engine
comes up with many
> listings. Including the one's I gave you earlier.

Joanne, just so you and the others don't think that I was
being lazy in looking for information, I wasn't looking for
Word vs Frame comparisons...that wasn't the question, and I
have that stuff in my research file already. My question was
specifically whether MS used Word to create their
publications as my upper management believed.

My manager has no real problem with going to FM...he'd
previously bought 3 licenses for v6+sgml, plus some outside
training. It's HIS management that is making the transition
an issue and their argument was that since MS used Word for
thousand-page publications, so should we be able.

What I was hoping that either on-list or off-list, I'd
receive any responses from parties closer to the inside with
first-hand experience...which I did.

BTW...once thing I also discovered in my research...if you
look at the Colophon (which makes good reading regardless)
in the back of several of the O'Reilly books, you find:

1) they often use FM 5 or 5.5.6 depending on pub date, and
2) Our own Erik Ray is involved in the production of some of
the later issues.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation