MS Word--Formatting text in cross reference fields

Subject: MS Word--Formatting text in cross reference fields
From: Wendy_Secrist -at- selinc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:11:32 -0700

Hi all,

I've lurked for a little while and learned a great deal. I'm hoping some
of you Word experts can help me solve a little problem I'm having with
Word.

For one of our document types, we create figure and table captions with
the following format:

Figure 1 Description of caption

The "Figure 1" part is bold (manually applied format); the description is
regular text. The two pieces are separated by an em space.

For various reasons (some not logical, but not negotiable at this time) we
have to keep this format. The problem is that when we insert cross
references to the captions, the cross references insert as bold text. We
don't want the cross reference text to be bold.

We've gotten around this by finding each cross reference field, selecting
it, and manually removing the bold format. I'm hoping there's an easier
way, such as changing the basic format of the cross reference fields (so
that text in the field is always formatted as regular text, regardless of
the format of the Figure xx).

I've searched the archives and a couple of Word books, with no luck.

Anyone have some wisdom to share?

Wendy