MS Word--Cross reference formats

Subject: MS Word--Cross reference formats
From: Wendy_Secrist -at- selinc -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:55:45 -0700

I've been a lurker for a little while and have found the information on
this list very helpful. Hopefully, one of you experts can help with a
little problem I'm having with Word.

One of our document types uses the following figure caption style:

Figure 1 Description of figure

The "Figure 1" part is bold (manually applied). The description is regular
text.

For various reasons (some of which defy logic, but are currently not
negotiable) we have to keep this style. The problem is that when we insert
cross references to tables or figures, the cross-reference text (just the
label and number, i.e., Figure 1) is inserted as bold text. We then have
to select the cross reference field and manually change the format to
regular text. Once we do this, when we update fields, the cross-reference
text stays as regular text.

There's got to be an easier way ... perhaps setting a default style for
the cross-reference field? Any ideas, anyone?

Wendy