RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site

Subject: RE: Members Only Content on Chapter Web Site
From: Gurudutt Kamath <documentor -at- vsnl -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:37:43 +0530

Hello Scott,
I personally am not in favor of having a restricted members only area.
I cannot think of any content which needs to be restricted. If there are
areas like personal, confidential, or financial information, which need
to be proteced, such areas can have the restriction applied to them.
Similarly, you may want to restrict areas where only members can
participate -- say Chats, bulletin boards, mailing lists, etc. If costs
are involved for a service (say access to Encyclopedia TechWritica),
that could be restricted for members.

Restricted access does have its advantages. It is available only to the
privileged few. For example, the STC site access. Only those with
password have access to all the enormous resources.

Hope this helps.

Guru
STC Member (India Chapter)
Year of Technical Writing Training (YTWT)

Scott Abel asked:
Just wondering if any of you have ever had to grapple with the
definition of "members only" content on your STC chapter web sites? (or
other
organizations?) We're building a new chapter web site for the Hoosier
STC
and we are trying to determine what content (if any) on the site should
be restricted to members only? I'd love to hear your ideas.

Our goal: To determine what content might be restricted to members only
and why.

Our struggle: What is the benefit to members?