Re: Saying "RTFM" out loud

Subject: Re: Saying "RTFM" out loud
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:27:07 -0800

I think the most effrective way of handling these opportunities is to make sure the support person says something like this:

"Let's check the help for that feature. Oh, it's not in there. I'll let our doc department know about that right away. Here's how to <whatever>..."

--or--

"Let's check the help for that feature. I'm going to the index and looking for <whatever>. Hmm...it's not in there. Let's try <some-synonym> Gosh, it's not in there! I'll let our doc department know about that right away. Here's how to <whatever>..."

--or--

"Let's check the help for that feature. I'm going to the index and looking for <whatever>. Ah, there it is; so click on <so-and-do>. OK, here it explains how to <whatever>. Let's go through those steps together..."

In any of these scenarios, the customer finds out how to use the help (without being insulted!), the doc department hears about any shortcomings in the help content or index, and the company saves money as fewer customers seek help with procedures that are thoroughly documented and easily accessible.

Everybody wins!

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.