RE: Where does Documentation belong?

Subject: RE: Where does Documentation belong?
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "k k" <turnleftatnowhere -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:20:17 -0500

>Invariably, in such situations, the technical
>documentation became technical-flavored
>documentation. When TWs are responsible
>to sales people, their output is forced toward
>"soft" writing. They are made to spend more
>time writing to project the right "image"

Not so.

The flavor of the documentation is what the writer of the doc makes it.
I'm currently in the org-chart category of sales/marketing...however,
the documentation is reviewed by Product Management, Product
Implementation, most times, the CTO (he's very hands-on). On my last
review of a 250 page User's Guide, I received more corrections to the
included code samples than I did to the formatting...in fact, I never
received ANY format input and marketing never reviewed it nor asked to.

Why are we under Sales and Marketing? So we get to be included in the
review of sales/marketing and proposal documentation instead of just
technical documentation.

We're too diverse a group to make any generalizations of this type.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com