RE: Where does Documentation belong?

Subject: RE: Where does Documentation belong?
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:21:56 -0700

Kk writes:
Technical documentation should remain on the technical
side of the company. That's the only way it can remain
technical documentation.

I think that technical docs stay technical docs as long as the requirements
for them to be technical exist. I have worked in Training, Sales,
Marketing, Engineering, and Services departments.

The worst department I ever had was Engineering. The best was Services.
The next best was Engineering (different company).

It all depends on the company's support of documentation and that usually
means both direct management and the upper management of the company.

The worst situation was that docs were severely understaffed and often
undermined. The best situation had support for doing projects right with
full access to design, specifications, requirements, development, and
productization by being part of a team.

I have found most issues with documentation start with the upper management
and filter down through middle management.

So, as I wrote this, I notices John's response which is close enough to mine
to stop writing ...

walden