RE: It's what It's

Subject: RE: It's what It's
From: Watson Laughton <wlaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>
To: 'Suzanne Chiles' <suzchiles -at- pobox -dot- com>, 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:17:57 -0600

> regarding which vs. that ...
>
> The 15th edition of the Chicago Manual of Style states: "In
> British English, writers and editors seldom observe the
> distinction between the two words."

I wonder if that means they truly "seldom observe the distinction" and treat
them as synonymous (leading to constructions such as "The celebration, that
is what has brought us together this evening, will be held in the rotunda"),
or if they just do a one-way swap of "which" for "that" because of its faux
erudition to the ears of the common man, sort of à la "between she and I".