Re: Changing the file view in Open dialog boxes in Word 2002

Subject: Re: Changing the file view in Open dialog boxes in Word 2002
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:36:12 -0500

Elizabeth O'Shea wrote:
> There's a macro workaround to my problem listed in the Word
Knowledge
> Base, but it doesn't apply to Word 2002 from what I can see.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> When I open an Open dialog box, the files are displayed as
> thumbnails. I
> change the view to List, select my file and click Open. When I
reopen
> the same Open dialog box, the files are once again displayed as
> thumbnails.
>
> How can I force Word to display my files in a List view every time?

It's really the Folder Options feature in your operating system.

This should work for Windows 2000 or XP (and maybe other OSs):

Open Windows Explorer.
Open any folder.
On the View menu, set the View to be what you want for ALL folders.
On the Tools menu, choose Folder Options.
On the View tabbed page, click Apply to All Folders and OK.
This will work with Word, but other applications may not pick up the
rule.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com