Re: Using M-dash and N-dash

Subject: Re: Using M-dash and N-dash
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:20:36 -0800

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

So try it. Go out your door, stop the first 20 or 30 people
you encounter, and ask them what they use when they write.
While you're at it, ask them if they care what the Chicago
Manual of Style says. Mind you, I have one and I use it, but I remain aware of the fact that hardly anyone who reads
what I write gives a damn.

So? Most people don't need to know. Try the same experiment about changing brake pads, and you'll get the same dismal response.

However, the difference is that knowing how to change your brake pads in your car might be useful. In the case of escoterica like the em dash, you really don't want people noticing what sort of dash you're using. You want them to concentrate on what you're actually saying.

--
Bruce Byfield 604.421.7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield