Re: GoLive vs. Dreamweaver

Subject: Re: GoLive vs. Dreamweaver
From: matthew_stern -at- kofax -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 13:28:04 -0700

Al wrote:

> You can flip between code, split code/wysiwyg and wysiwyg in Dreamweaver
> without clogging your site with a lot of FrontPage gobbledygook and
> without having to "disable" any of the helpful stuff.

FrontPage 2003 has a split WYSIWYG/Code screen, and it also has code
snippets, templates, and tests for W3C/WAI and Section 508 accessibility.
So, Microsoft seems to be playing catch-up with Macromedia. I haven't
tried it out to see if it does a better job of creating clean HTML without
having to turn off the "helpful features."

Unfortunately, FrontPage 2003 is no longer bundled with any of the
Microsoft Office editions. If you have FrontPage with one of your earlier
copies of Office, you can upgrade it to 2003.

Although I use FrontPage at home to maintain my personal Web site
(www.matthewarnoldstern.com), I prefer using Dreamweaver. I can trust that
Dreamweaver won't insert proprietary code or make my site dependent on
server extensions.

Matthew Stern
Sr. Technical Writer
Kofax Image Products, Inc.