RE: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: RE: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:17:15 -0500

::: Call me wishy-washy, but I'm a Luddite again. I can see how
::: single-sourcing
::: would work for the help, training, and manuals, etc. in a
::: single project,
::: but to try to make it work over more than one project
::: sounds like a complete
::: waste of effort and a form of bureaucratic abuse.

I've done so in the past and am working with others in my company to make it
happen for us now. The trick is to intelligently chunk your information for
generic retrieval. This way, you may re-use 20%-70% (for a ballpark range)
of content from project to project and add the remainder in new content
specific to the project at hand. Regardless of what the content is, it all
goes back into the available pool for later reuse.

IMO, a waste of effort is re-writing similar info or copy-pasting it all
over the place. It's busy work the first time, and a maintenance nightmare
the remainder of the time.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com