Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!

Subject: Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:04:16 +1100

Solveig Haugland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> /kevin is correct. "Which" and "that" are grammatically different,
> not stylistically different. I'll just provide my own example here as
> well.

What makes your examples grammatically different is not
the word "which" or "that" but also the punctuation.

You're referring to a distinction that is widely and exhaustively
covered in English grammar handbooks and style guides.

> For the Chicagophiles, it's in section 5.42 of my 14th edition.

Good advice. See also Strunk & White, page 59 in the third edition.
--
Michael West