Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!

Subject: Re: It's what It's. OH THAT ONE !!
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:02:48 +1100

Mailing List wrote:
> Michael West
>
>> You are referring to the distinction between restrictive
>> (or defining) clauses and non-restrictive (non-defining)
>> clauses. This distinction is widely covered in style guides
>> and grammar handbooks.
>
> Yes, but............ see you over on CE-L. We've worn this
> out in the generalist Techwr-L.

I'd be happy to address any concerns anyone
might have on this topic via e-mail. It is not
strictly related to technical writing.

I really only wanted to correct an impression
left by one poster who seemed to be saying that
one rule applied in the US and another in Britain.
That isn't true, though there are some differences
in the extent to which the rule is recognized in the
two places.
--
Michael West