Re: To XML or to UI

Subject: Re: To XML or to UI
From: "Mark Baker" <listsub -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:33:15 -0500

John Posada wrote

> Hi, guys...I preparing to enroll in a four-day training program on XML.
> As I'm talking to my boss about it, he mentions that he's going to be
> attending the 4 day Interaction Design Practicum at Cooper U in SF:
> He asks me if I also want to go. The kicker is that my budget for the
> year won't allow both, so if I want to go to the Cooper UI training, I'd
> have to blow off the XML training. What to do...
>
> What would YOU do?

Take the UI training.

From a technical point of view, XML is dirt dumb simple. If you can make
toast, you can figure out XML. The hard part is what you use it for.
* XML is used to create tagging languages.
* Tagging languages are data collection mechanisms.
* Data collection mechanisms are user interfaces.
* Tagging language design, therefore, is UI design.
UI design training, therefore, is good training for someone interested in
working with XML. Learn good UI design principles. The angle brackets will
take care of themselves.

Mark Baker
Analecta Communications