Re: To XML or to UI

Subject: Re: To XML or to UI
From: "Mark Baker" <listsub -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:48:50 -0500

> XML -> Database -> Single Sourcing

I'll reiterate my point on this one. XML is a simple technology that can be
applied to many complex problems. Single Sourcing involves changing the way
authors create content and the way they build documents. In order for single
sourcing to work, authors have to be able to do the right things and do them
efficiently. These are UI issues. Think of it as:

UI -> Authoring Interface -> Single Sourcing

To compare the difficulty of the various components involved in creating a
working single sourcing solution I would rank it about like this:

XML 5%
Database 10%
UI 85%

And, as I said before, DTD/Schema design is a UI design activity. Thus the
UI training is the most important training you could take if single sourcing
is your goal.

Mark Baker
Analecta Communications