RE: Printing paragraph style information from FrameMaker

Subject: RE: Printing paragraph style information from FrameMaker
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:49:40 -0500

Chuck...I had a similar situation. However, I found that in some
documents, even though there were 100+ defined tags, only a percentage
of them were used in a document.

So, before attempting to care about the definitions of all the styles, I
erased all of them from the P list, then added back only the styles that
were applied. I started at the top and scrolled down, made sure my
cursor hit every line. Each style that was defined but deleted from the
list had a * in the style name when viewed in the style window in the
menu bar. By the time I got half way through the document, 99% of the
styles were accounted for.

At the same time, I renamed some of them to conform with my paragraph
style naming conventions.

>There are more than 100 paragraph styles defined in
>a main chapter document.
>The default style information list ened up being nearly
>200 pages long. I ended up copying all the content into
>a blank Word document, then reducing the text size
>and creating a 3-column document to make it a manageable
>50 pages.

Why did you move them into a Word document...the plygin creates a
separate FM document, just use that, I also changed the output columns,
but to two column.

>Unless you object, I'd like to use this
>as a specific example (I'll be doing some
>general examples as well).

Not at all

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer