RE: It did happen on a Friday...

Subject: RE: It did happen on a Friday...
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:59:53 -0500

"...These words describe a relationship"

I'm all for finding a suitable language substitute if a proper one can
be found. However, it must not only mean the same on a word for word
basis, but properly convey the meaning of the phrase at the "phrase"
level.

What I object to is someone who is miles away from environment where a
term is used, to make a decision on how a term should be used, based on
ignorance and personal preference.

This particular term came to light when an LA county worker simply saw a
video recording device with "slave" and "master" tags. He wasn't into
video recording, he wasn't even in that field.

A similar example in a different vein (meanings) is the words
"use/usage". In some case they mean the same thing, in many others, they
mean different things. Should we blanket-replace all instances of the
word "usage" with the word "use" because it has 2 less letters?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation
http://www.isogon.com