SOLVED: FrameMaker conditional text: one manual number or several?

Subject: SOLVED: FrameMaker conditional text: one manual number or several?
From: "Lisa Bronson" <Lisa -dot- Bronson -at- ipaper -dot- com>
To: framers -at- frameusers -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:45:49 -0600

Thanks to those who sent me suggestions on this topic. After reading them
and talking with my manager some more, we've decided to keep everything in
one book file, using one manual number, but with a suffix added to indicate
which of the 8 possible model/welding method combinations is described in
the manual.

The suffix will be included on the cover of the manual, which is the only
place the number appears in the book, and also tracked in our PDM system
for future reference. Each time I make a change to one or more sections of
the manual (three of which contain conditional text, sometimes as small as
a single word), I will generate a pdf file for each of the 8 variations,
and attach them in our PDM system.

A bit clunky, perhaps, but it's manageable. Much better than doing it
without conditional text!

Thanks again!
Lisa B.