RE: Product management and the technical communicator

Subject: RE: Product management and the technical communicator
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:33:10 -0500

::: I'm considering a foray into product management and would
::: like to hear from anyone who has gone
::: from technical communication into product management.

I haven't been a product manager but I work with PMs every day.

From what I've seen, the PM role can easily be distored into a sales role,
which is NOT what it should be. The PM should be on the company's side, with
a heavy footprint in Engineering, to make the product better for the
customers, more usable, more sellable, and get it out there with a large
splash into the market.

Yes, the skills will be similar, and do expect it to be a challenge, and a
rewarding one at that. Just don't let time to market and sales numbers skew
the purpose of the role.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com