RE: RE: Help on Coordination between Engineers and Technical Witers

Subject: RE: RE: Help on Coordination between Engineers and Technical Witers
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:30:18 -0500

::: I usually take stuff in with me to work on while I sit in
::: the back of the room ("fly on the wall"). After the first
::: few meetings of most new projects, I can get a feel for
::: signs that something of interest to me is happening.

Wow.

Me, I take my Pocket PC, a pen, and a printout of either the agenda or of an
issues list for the project. I sit at the meeting table, toward the middle
if oblong, and I listen.

The Pocket PC is off.

The pen is on the printout, on the table.

I listen.

If it's not a "doc-worthy" discussion, I take it all in. I learn about the
problems they're facing, learn about their route to a solution (by the
discussion), note the key contributors in the discussion, and then every so
often I do jot a note down in my Pocket PC about the discussion.

If it's a issues-based meeting or a status meeting, the Pocket PC remains
off and I'm taking notes on the issues printout. I note status of items,
whether or not I'm aware of a doc impact, and I keep track of who is
reporting on what.

In either situation, I ask questions where appropriate, offer advice, an in
general look like I'm paying attention and am interested in the discussions
(which I am).

And, when done, I report a status back to everyone else on the Docs team and
follow up with the developers as needed.

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com