Functionality - alternatives?

Subject: Functionality - alternatives?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, wcass -at- iontrading -dot- com
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 09:32:31 -0500

Will Cass wonders: <<I have read the discussions about functionality vs. function, but what I am really looking for are alternatives for these words. Personally, I abhor functionality. I can live with function most of the time. However, it would be nice to have some alternatives up my sleeve.>>

Both words are perfectly suitable, and if used properly, shouldn't lead to abhorrence. Because the words serve a useful function, it doesn't really matter what you and I think about their elegance or lack thereof; if we don't like them, we should just deal with it. <g>

Part of your abhorrence likely arises from people who use the words in place of substance. When that's the case, the solution isn't to find a synonym: it's to eliminate the need for the word by providing the missing substance. Rather than "the software offers great functionality", say "with the software, you can save mankind from itself, pay your taxes, and convince Hollywood to create movies that don't pander to the illiterate" or "the software can walk the dog, diaper the baby, and confound Microsoft." Now _that's_ functionality!

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca