RE: Which image format-Clarification

Subject: RE: Which image format-Clarification
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'Dick Margulis'" <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 00:47:46 -0500

::: Did Wade say anything about grayscale? If so, I missed it.

You missed it. ;)

::: AFAIK it is
::: one of the two options folks have been discussing. And for
::: color, TIFF
::: is pretty much the only way that makes sense. In any case,
::: TIFFs are
::: compatible with more systems than GIFs are, and therefore
::: they are safer
::: if you haven't gotten explicit instructions from the printer to the
::: contrary. It also takes a bit more effort to set up a
::: grayscale GIF than
::: a grayscale TIFF in my experience, at least in Photoshop.
::: Maybe you've
::: got a better method than I know, however.

Yep. Print a RGB color image to grayscale. No worries. And I never send
source files to printers... PDF only, always. I don't trust the average
press monkey these days, and I can do without the setup fee. Just plug my
file into the RIP and press the PRINT button...

::: Of course if you manage to put out a CMYK or grayscale PDF that is
::: compatible with the printer's workflow (probably easy for
::: you and me but
::: maybe not so easy for Wade or his boss), then it really
::: doesn't matter
::: which format the screens started out, does it?

Nope. ;) But what does that have to do with thread longevity on techwr-l? ;)

Bill Swallow
wswallow "at" nycap "dot" rr "dot" com