Re: Which image format-Clarification

Subject: Re: Which image format-Clarification
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Bill Swallow <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:47:58 -0500

Bill Swallow wrote:

Dick, a TIFF and a GIF will print a screenshot the same in grayscale... The
only thing you gain with TIFF is file size.

Bill,

Did Wade say anything about grayscale? If so, I missed it. AFAIK it is one of the two options folks have been discussing. And for color, TIFF is pretty much the only way that makes sense. In any case, TIFFs are compatible with more systems than GIFs are, and therefore they are safer if you haven't gotten explicit instructions from the printer to the contrary. It also takes a bit more effort to set up a grayscale GIF than a grayscale TIFF in my experience, at least in Photoshop. Maybe you've got a better method than I know, however.

Of course if you manage to put out a CMYK or grayscale PDF that is compatible with the printer's workflow (probably easy for you and me but maybe not so easy for Wade or his boss), then it really doesn't matter which format the screens started out, does it?

Dick