RE: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn

Subject: RE: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn
From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:16:48 -0500

I think the point, or at least the point that's I'd like to make is,
don't base a justification on "I can do anything you can do better". But
instead, what can I do that you CAN'T?

I believe that we're past (or should be past) evaluating an application
on what it can do from the perspective of what it's counterpart can do
on a feature by feature basis, and instead, should be thinking along the
lines of bottom-line impact.

Do you think our IT support departments are going to jump through hoops
to integrate a new authoring application (and they will have to) because
we like how X may be handled? OTOH, have the CIO tell IT "you WILL
switch over" because to him, he's seen how it will save him money.

Some of you may be aware that I've been pushing to get FM here to
replace Word. Wanna know what made them "see the light"? We spent
$200,000 over the last three years to localize our manuals and online
help, about 50/50. I showed them that by using FM and RHforFM, that we'd
be using the same source for the help as for the docs...thereby reducing
out localization costs by about 40%...80k trumps feature comparison most
days of the week.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Isogon Corporation