RE: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn

Subject: RE: My New OpenOffice.org tcolumn
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:50:36 -0800

Quoting John Posada <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>:

> Do you think our IT support departments are going to jump through hoops
> to integrate a new authoring application (and they will have to) because
> we like how X may be handled? OTOH, have the CIO tell IT "you WILL
> switch over" because to him, he's seen how it will save him money.

You're right, of course.

In the case of OOo, it's really a no-brainer. Free software, free upgrade and
free support should speak for themselves. The only possible costs are for a
day's training, and even that can be dispensed with, since an MS Word user can
find enough similarities to get up and running fairly quickly.

But, in practice, it's not that simple. Many executives don't trust the concept
of free software, and keep looking for the catch. Others feel that they should
stick with MS Office simply because that's what they know. Ignorance and habit
are as least as strong factors in the decision than cost, no matter how
rational people imagine themselves to be.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

ROBOHELP IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
New RoboHelp X5 includes all new features such as,
content management, multi-author support, distributed
workforce support, XML and PDF support, and much more!

Purchase new Macromedia RoboHelp X5 by March 31st and receive a
$100 mail-in rebate. http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com