Re: "DO NOT COOK"?

Subject: Re: "DO NOT COOK"?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:51:58 -0700

> When we looked at the box, we found out that you don't cook the pb&j
> pastries at all. My wife felt foolish, but I think the wrappers should
> have had a "DO NOT COOK" instruction on them, in anticipation of someone
> making exactly the wrong assumption that my wife did. Whenever
> possible, I try to anticipate things people might be gonna do that they
> aren't supposed to and include the appropriate warning. Do you all
> think it was called for in this case?

Um, hate to be critical, but in admitting that you didn't look at the box
until AFTER cooking, you're asking a lot from a technical writer to expect
them to prevent this kind of error. A tech writer can only do so much. <g>

I just hit Smuckers' website, and it seems pretty informative, so I gotta
believe the box makes it fairly clear what you should and shouldn't do. So
I think what you REALLY need to do is get your wife to respect what you do
for a living, and READ DIRECTIONS. <g>

Remember: every time you read directions, a tech writer gets his wings. Or
something like that.

Keith Cronin
Press the red button.
But whatever you do, make sure you pull the blue lever before pressing the
red button. Otherwise everything will blow up.

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com