RE: "DO NOT COOK"?

Subject: RE: "DO NOT COOK"?
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- aps -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:43:25 -0700

<<No...I don't believe you can control all the things people can do with
something that you can't imagine. OTOH, if by putting the product in a
microwave, it would blow the wing of your house into the next county,
then yes, but dangerous situations are easier to anticipate than
non-dangerous wild-imagination situations.

I agree. It's too hard to anticipate all the possible wrong conclusions
that a person could make. However, that said, the packaging of an item
to be cooked and an item not to be cooked should probably be different
so that the visual cues are different. In technical writing terms the
interface should correspond to the usage.
Ideally, the user interface design will solve the problem. If not, and
I can see that the error might be commonly made, I would probably
include it in the documentation -- if it was too late to fix the design
flaw. But ideally, this type of thing should be caught in design.

Rosie

Rose A. Wilcox
Center for Process Excellence, CHQ 8th Floor
602-250-3195
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- aps -dot- com

Here is a pen and here is a pencil, here's a typewriter, here's a
stencil, here's a list of today's appointments, and all the flies in all
the ointments, the daily woes that a man endures - take them, George,
they're yours!
Ogden Nash

"MMS <apsc.com>" made the following annotations.
--- NOTICE ---
This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain confidential, privileged or proprietary information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original and any copy or printout. Unintended recipients are prohibited from making any other use of this e-mail. Although we have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, we accept no liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments, or for any delay or errors or omissions in the contents which result from e-mail transmission.

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com