Re: how to list items

Subject: Re: how to list items
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:52:44 -0700

Dick Margulis wrote:

> I mean precisely that there are situations--and this _might_ be one of
> them--where the order the elements appear is an artifact of some
> uncontrolled, nondeterminant process, <snip>
> decisions but as the result of every build of the software. Heck, they
> could even change at installation time. <snip>

OK, I see your point, Dick. In such a situation, however, it may also be
impossible to make the documentation match the interface. :-(

Which leads me back to my initial recommendation for what to do first: "You
mentioned not knowing the criteria, if any, used to determine the interface
order. You need to ask."

Talk to the developer(s) or whoever, and find out why the items are ordered
the way they are. Is it a logical order that you should use as well? Is it a
random order that can be changed? Is it a random order that's beyond
control?

"Inquiring minds want to know."

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant, a division of Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet
303-777-0436
------

ROBOHELP FOR FRAMEMAKER AS LOW AS $299! Offer expires March 31.
Publish your FrameMaker documents online -- quickly and easily!

New licenses are only $899 for one and $499 for additional licenses.
Use a competitor's product? Switch to RoboHelp for FrameMaker
for only $299! Buy today: CALL 1-800-462-4420 or 1 858-847-7900.
Hurry, offer expires March 31 2004.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com