Re: Converting .DOCs to PPTs

Subject: Re: Converting .DOCs to PPTs
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:09 -0500

kelley -at- pulpculture -dot- org wrote:

Hi,

My boss has a client who wants their policies converted to .PPT for use in an online learning application. Apparently, we have a few clients who would like this done. I normally work with Adobe and Macromedia products, and I've never had the unpleasure of working with .PPT. :) I'm happy to learn and I can't imagine that the ramp up time is going to be terribly long. Initial inspection suggests it's fairly straightforward, a matter, mostly, of applying sound information chunking principles.

It's straightforward if the doc is in decent shape.

1. In PowerPoint, select a template.
2. Open it in outline view (actually, I don't know the name of the view, but it's a three-pane view; the text goes into a vertical pane on the left, and the speaker notes pane is visible on the bottom).
3. Copy the text from the Word doc and paste it into the left pane in PPT.
4. You can select ranges of material in that pane and then apply the promote and demote buttons (left and right arrow button--not keyboard arrows) to control how much material goes onto a single slide.

This is easier to do than to explain, but essentially, if you break up the copy the right way, the first line of each slide becomes the slide title (and takes on that style); the material under that follows outline levels to become the text content of the slide.

Of course after you do all this, you are still going to have WAY too many words on a slide. Your best bet is to copy all that text and paste it down in the speaker notes section (you'll have to reapply bullets there); then greatly simplify the text on the slide itself. But, again, this is fairly quick and painless.

You should not have to do any formatting other than promoting and demoting stuff--if, as I said, the Word doc was well organized.

How long might it typically take an experienced person to convert 30 Word .DOC pages (in the typical *yawn* policy manual style) into .PPT?

Maybe a few hours if all goes well, but you should work with a sample document first and do your own estimating.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com