Whose opinion should matter (was Re: Gene Kim-Eng)

Subject: Whose opinion should matter (was Re: Gene Kim-Eng)
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 05:42:17 -0500

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Then I think you have the answer to your question. The people who
don't see a value to having you there are the people who think they
can do your job but have already proven that they can't, at least in
the eyes of the person who made the decision to bring you in. It seems to me that it's pretty obvious whose opinion should matter
to you.

Whose opinion is that, Gene?

On the one hand, I take your point, that the opinion of the hiring manager should count for more than the opinion of the whiners. But in this situation--when people are making inappropriate judgments about the OP's value as a person, the only opinion that really counts is her own.

I think we (all human beings, not just Gene and Dick) need to listen to and mostly respect each other's opinions about _stuff in general_ (politics, economics, religion, and, oh yeah, the subject matter we are documenting). We even do well to listen to discussions of our individual behaviors (I think your approach to Sally is causing a problem with her; try using a different color ink). But we ought to have strong enough egos/thick enough skins to identify and ignore personal attacks masked as opinion. The right to swing that arm you have tied behind your back ends at the tip of my nose, which you can't reach anyway because I've got it to the grindstone ;-)

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com