RE: Converting .DOCs to PPTs

Subject: RE: Converting .DOCs to PPTs
From: Gurudutt Kamath <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:11:23 +0530

Hello Kelley,

I had a similar situation, in Hong Kong (for an IBM project), my project
leader asked me to convert some Word documents to Power Point slides.
Mid-morning, he asked whether I could do it by tomorrow afternoon?
Brash that I was, I told him that I would give it to him the same
afternoon and I did. There is a wonderful feature in Word and PowerPoint
which I use quite often -- Export to.

My suggestions to you would be:

Learn
=====
1. Take two representative pages of your policy doc in Word.
2. Work in Outline View. Create Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, etc for the
points within. Level 1 will be the Topic Heading. The other levels will
be bullet points and subpoints.
3. Export it to PowerPoint. (File > Sent to > PowerPoint)
4. You have your two pages of PowerPoint Presentation.
5. You can then apply design, etc to beautify your presentation as
required. (Save, etc)

There is a 10 minute learning curve (assuming you know about Word
Styles).

Implement
=========
1. Convert the 30 pages to the Levels required in Outline view. (Could
take between 30 minutes to 60 minutes)
2. Export it to PowerPoint. (5 minutes)
3. Apply the design elements and correct any problems, etc. (30 minutes
to 60 minutes) Save, etc.

Word as you know behaves as a Beauty sometimes and a Beast sometimes. If
you require any help, let me know. (BTW, FYI, I am using Word 2002 and
Windows XP.) I am sure you will find this equally easy. However, if you
find it cumbersome (and it does not work for you), you can try the other
methods suggested.

BTW, I love such conversion tasks! Hope you also enjoy it too.

Guru
http://www.documentorg.com/default.htm

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES March 31!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com