RE: Technical writing in a higher ed environment

Subject: RE: Technical writing in a higher ed environment
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:14:27 -0800

Wendy,
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one (I know it's
Friday...sorry). You say that "Technical writers are trained to honor
consistency above all else." What I was taught to be most important is
clarity and effectiveness in the content. Consistent presentation of
information is VERY important, yes. It helps readers map unfamiliar terrain,
orient themselves, and perform other numerous cognitive tasks that make
learning easier. But consistency is in itself only an aid to clarity and
effective content.

Now, your example from the AP manual is certainly a good example of
inelegant rules, though they are internally consistent (always spell out a
number if it's this no matter what's going on around it). But I fail to see
how that sort of stylistic rule inhibits your ability to produce effective
content. Also, if we're looking at consistency, there is a valid argument to
be made for having consistent documentation across all internal
publications.

Maybe I'm just dense, or maybe the unbelievable spring weather here in
Colorado has given me spring fever. Anyway, just wanted to bring up that
point.

Lisa